Position Description: Communications Associate
Title: Communications Associate
Reports to: Communications Director
Type: Exempt / “At Pleasure
The Communications Assistant will be responsible for a variety of day-to-day programmatic and administrative tasks for the Communications Department and will be expected to: create a social media strategy and manage online communications, assist with the creation of editorial content, assist with the production of high-quality communications materials, assist with the communications of CFYJ’s state campaign work and Youth Justice Awareness Month, and other communications duties as needed. The employee in this position will report to the Communications Director.
The job requires a creative and efficient worker with excellent writing and editing skills who is comfortable working in a deadline-driven environment. Candidate must be a versatile team player with the ability to show grace under pressure. The position requires an organized, dependable self-starter who can juggle a number of tasks and projects. It is critical that the team member be able to work independently and autonomously, and embrace both glitzy and mundane tasks with equal attention.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
The Communications Associate will:
- Manage the daily activity of all CFYJ’s social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Snapchat and YouTube);
- Create and implement a social media strategy and plan for the organization;
- Research and scan relevant news media, post them on social media, and flag and craft responses as necessary;
- Research, compile, and disseminate the “Weekly News Round-up”;
- Stay up to date on newest trends in the social media space, and be knowledgeable about tools such as Canva, Hootsuite, TweetDeck, TagBoard, iMovie, etc.
- Assist with management of CFYJ’s Nation Builder and Vocus databases-and be able to provide trainings to staff and interns as needed;
- Assist with the updating and management of CFYJ’s websites and blog; must be knowledgeable in Joomla and Wordpress.
- Assist with communication technical assistance for state campaigns;
- Assist with planning and coordination for Youth Justice Awareness Month;
- Assist with managing CFYJ Spokespeople;
- Assist with preparation of CFYJ media materials including press advisories, press releases, press kits, talking points, and other materials as needed;
- Assist with coordination of CFYJ Communications convenings;
- Assist with supervision of CFYJ Communications Interns and Volunteers;
- Assist with representation at CFYJ at national events, conferences and meetings as appropriate;
- Assist with quarterly updates on Communications for CEO’s report to the Board for Directors.
Education: B.A. strongly preferred.
Experience: 1-2 years of communications experience and demonstrated interest in juvenile justice issues and dedicated to CFYJ's mission.
Compensation: CFYJ offers a competitive salary and benefits package that is commensurate with experience.
CFYJ does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool and embraces an equal employment opportunity (“EEO”) workplace.