Summer 2018 Operations & Development Fellow
Schedule: Internships are full time (35 hours per week for 10 weeks). Fellows work Monday through Friday during regular business hours (approximately 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.)
Location: Washington, DC
Duration: June 4th to August 10th
Deadline to Apply: March 30, 2018
Applications received after the deadline will be reviewed as needed until the fellowships are filled.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
The Campaign for Youth Justice (CFYJ) is dedicated to ending the practice of trying, sentencing, and incarcerating youth under 18 in the adult criminal justice system.
The Campaign works in partnership with state-based campaigns in a number of states. We serve as a clearinghouse of information on youth prosecuted as adults and make our tools and resources available to those interested in learning and taking action on an issue that personally affects them.
We strongly believe that any movement must involve those who are most impacted by the laws and policies. Thus, we seek to empower those affected by encouraging them to use their voices and experiences to effect meaningful change.
For additional information, please visit: http://www.campaignforyouthjustice.org/
ABOUT THE FELLOWS PROGRAM
Operations and Development (1 Fellow position): The Operations and Development fellow will intern full time in the CFYJ office. Fellow responsibilities may include: researching and identifying funding opportunities for the organization, writing for the CFYJ blog, reaching out to potential funders to set up meetings for senior staff, promoting local events to raise awareness on our issue, helping to keep the office running smoothly, and drafting donor emails. The Intern will also support October’s Youth Justice Awareness Month by following up with corporations who might want to sponsor YJAM.
In addition, the fellow will have the opportunity to help with our Prisoner Correspondence Program, and to provide data entry support to help expand the reach of our action alerts. He/she will also help put together a summer learning institute for other youth justice fellows in the DC area.
Fellows also have the opportunity to attend local and federal briefings and hearings, as well as special presentations to learn more about the issue.
The ideal candidate:
- Has an interest in juvenile justice reform, nonprofit management, and/or development;
- Is a strong writer and researcher;
- Has some experience with data entry and management and other office operations;
- Is detail oriented and highly organized;
- Is enthusiastic about gaining new knowledge bases;
- Has a professional work ethic;
- Can work independently, problem solve, multi-task and take initiative;
- Has prior work or volunteer experience with a community-based organization and/or youth;
- Has knowledge of Microsoft Office, and other database software packages.
- Cover letter indicating your experience and interest in the position.
- List of two to three references.
- Writing sample (two to five pages).
Please submit your application materials as MS Word or PDF attachments. Include all attachments in a single email. Please include, “CFYJ Summer Operations and Development Fellow Application” in the subject line of your email.
Thank you for your interest in CFYJ!