Summer 2018 Juvenile Justice State Campaigns Fellow
Schedule: Fellow is part time (20 hours per week for 10 weeks). Fellows work Monday through Friday during regular business hours (approximately 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.)
Location: Washington, DC
Duration: June 4th to August 10th
Deadline to Apply: March 30, 2018
Applications received after the deadline will be reviewed as needed until the fellowships are filled.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
The Campaign for Youth Justice (CFYJ) is dedicated to ending the practice of trying, sentencing, and incarcerating youth under 18 in the adult criminal justice system.
The Campaign works in partnership with state-based campaigns in a number of states. We serve as a clearinghouse of information on youth prosecuted as adults and make our tools and resources available to those interested in learning and taking action on an issue that personally affects them.
We strongly believe that any movement must involve those who are most impacted by the laws and policies. Thus, we seek to empower those affected by encouraging them to use their voices and experiences to effect meaningful change.
For additional information, please visit: http://www.campaignforyouthjustice.org/
ABOUT THE FELLOWS PROGRAM
State Campaigns Fellow (1 Fellow position): State Campaigns fellow will intern part time in the CFYJ office. Fellow responsibilities may include assisting staff with state campaign related activities and strategy development; assisting with the development of advocacy resources and tools; assisting with event planning and other grassroots mobilization activities; writing and editing feature stories and articles for the CFYJ blog; assisting with other specific projects in conjunction with the campaign’s other fellows; attending planning sessions and staff meetings. This Fellow will also work with the State Campaigns Director to help promote and facilitate event organizing for Youth Justice Action Month (YJAM) in October.
The ideal candidate:
- Has an avid interest in juvenile justice reform and social justice movements;
- Has a particular interest in organizing and grassroots mobilizing, policy advocacy, and campaign-focused work;
- Is highly organized and detail oriented;
- Has excellent writing and communication skills;
- Is highly motivated and has a professional work ethic;
- Can work independently, problem solve, multi-task and take initiative;
- Has prior work or volunteer experience doing field work and/or working on a campaign;
- Proficient computer skills and in-depth knowledge of relevant software such as Microsoft Office, advanced proficiency in social media
- Cover letter indicating your experience and interest in the position.
- List of two to three references.
- Writing sample (two to five pages).
Please submit your application materials as MS Word or PDF attachments. Include all attachments in a single email. Please include, “CFYJ Summer State Campaigns Fellow Application” in the subject line of your email.
Thank you for your interest in CFYJ!